6/14/12

June 2

Our fifth and final port of call


After three island tours (all fabulous) we were a bit toured out by today. We just wanted to go hang out at a beach because we hadn't done that yet at all this week. There was a beautiful beach within walking distance of the boat, so we headed over. The water was beautiful, but local saleswomen were everywhere trying to get you to buy local souvenirs. We stayed for a bit and then headed to our one place we wanted to go today.


The Princess Juliana Airport to see the jet blasts. A friend recommended that we do this and after watching a few You Tube videos, we knew we couldn't pass this up. We were greeted with this sign as soon as we stepped out of the taxi. Bring it on! We love danger!!


We arrived just in time to see jets of all sizes landing and taking off for about 45 minutes. It's incredible. Huge 747s landing right above your head while you play at the beach. No wonder it's ranked one of the two most dangerous airports in the world.






The planes fly over the water, over the beach area (which is maybe only 30 feet), over the two lane street, and land on the runway just over the fence. The jets are only about 20-30 feet above your head when they come in for landing. Incredible!


The landing


I tried to take a video of a 747 taking off, but had no idea just how powerful it would be (even though I had watched the videos. Sometimes I'm not a fast learner). My video was only a few seconds long because I was being pushed so hard by the power of the wind, sand and seashell are hitting your entire body, you can't open your eyes, and you're being pushed down the beach towards the water. When it was all over and I could open my eyes again, it had blown my ponytail holder out of my hair, Adam's flip flop was in the water, his sunglasses had flown off, and one of the guys we were with was bleeding! So, here's a better video from You Tube to show you just how exciting this jet blast really is. I felt like I had barely escaped a natural disaster.


After surviving our afternoon we had a lovely last dinner. Tonight we celebrated our anniversary and our wait staff sang to us and brought us a 3rd dessert!



Scott and Tara were celebrating their honeymoon, so they got cake and song too



Had they told us beforehand that this was the night we were celebrating, we wouldn't have ordered 6 other desserts! Eight pieces of cake was a bit much for the 4 of us!!


I guess our room staff also helped us celebrate


We had so much fun on this cruise. Each port was amazing. We got to relax without kids for a week and we celebrated my 30th birthday, our 6th anniversary, Adam's new job, and this trip finally completed the bet I won when giving birth to Grayson!!  

1 comment:

  1. I was laughing so hard I was crying at that video. I can't believe you did that! Oh well, I guess getting sand blasted has to be a great exfoliator for the skin, right? :)

    ReplyDelete